Posts Tagged ‘Braves Field’

Milwaukee County Stadium – Home Field To Three Different MLB Franchises

November 12th, 2013

Milwaukee County Stadium was located at 201 South 46th Street, nine miles southwest of downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Built entirely with public funds, County Stadium initially was conceived as a new ballpark for the American Association Milwaukee Brewers. However, that minor league team never had the chance to play at the new stadium because of the arrival in 1953 of the National League Milwaukee Braves.

County Stadium Panoramic

The Braves franchise had played the previous 82 seasons in Boston, most recently (1915-1952) at Braves Field, located less than two miles west of Fenway Park. Indeed, the Braves are the oldest continuously operating professional sports franchise in United States.

Milwaukee County Stadium (Postcard Genuine Curteich-Chicago, Dist. by L.L. Cook Co.)

The Braves never had a losing season while in Milwaukee. In 1957, they brought Milwaukee a World Series title as well as a second National League pennant the following year. However, by 1965 the team was on its way out of town – the team’s new owner having shopped the Braves in search of a larger market with a larger television audience. The team moved to Atlanta’s new Fulton County Stadium for the 1966 season.

Exterior of Milwaukee County Stadium

In 1968 and 1969, through the efforts of local business man Bud Selig, the Chicago White Sox played several home dates at County Stadium. Selig’s plan was to demonstrate to Major League Baseball through the attendance at those games that Milwaukee still deserved to be a major league city. Selig’s efforts paid off and, in 1970 the expansion Seattle Pilots, after only one season in Seattle, moved to Milwaukee.

Miller Park Under Construction with Milwaukee County Stadium Awaiting Its Fate

The Brewers played at County Stadium from 1970, through the 2000 season. In 2001, they moved to a new ballpark built in a parking lot just south of County Stadium.

Raising the Roof at Miller Park, Milwaukee County Stadium is to the Right

The difference between the two ballparks could not be more striking. County Stadium was one of the last old school, classic double deck ballparks, while Miller Park, with it’s arched glass and steel enclosed roof, rises some 30 stories tall.

County Stadium with Miller Park Under Construction Behind Center Field

In addition to being the home ballpark for three different major league franchises, County Stadium also hosted some Green Bay Packers home games from 1953 to 1994.

Cubs Right Fielder Sammy Sosa at Milwaukee County Stadium

Bernie Brewer, the team’s mascot since the early 1970’s, had two different versions of beer keg chalet while at County Stadium. Both chalets, including the one in use during the final years of County Stadium, were purchased by Lakefront Brewery and relocated to the brewery at 1872 N Commerce Street. They can be seen as part of the brewery tour.

Bernie Brewer's Chalet, Milwaukee County Stadium

The Brewer’s sixth inning sausage race – known formally as Klement’s Racing Sausages – began at County Stadium in the mid 1990s.

The Four Racing Sausages - With the Addition of Chorizo - at Milwaukee County Stadium Circa 2000

Support columns for County Stadium’s upper deck afforded fans sitting underneath it in the lower seating bowl penty of obstructed views. The upper deck  seating was accessed from the upper level concourse by a series of catwalks.

Lower Seating Bowl, Section 3, Milwaukee County Stadium, with View of the Upper Level Concourse

County Stadium’s narrow concourses were typical for ballparks of that era.

Souvenir Stand, Milwaukee County Stadium

With Miller Park looming in the background during County Stadium’s final season, Brewers fans had a constant reminder that the end was near for the old ballpark. Even County Stadium’s scoreboard added to the drumbeat, advertising the sale of stadium seats to be made available soon after the end of the 2000 season.

Milwaukee County Stadium Scoreboard Advertising The Sale of Seats from the Stadium

The Brewers and Milwaukee County have done a good job keeping the memory of County Stadium alive. Helfaer Field is a youth baseball field constructed on the former site of County Stadium. The field is named in honor of Evan Helfaer, a part owner of the Brewers at the time of their arrival in Milwaukee. A foundation in his name helped provide funds to build the field.

Helfaer Field Located on the Former Site of Milwaukee County Stadium

On the concourse behind Helfaer Field’s third base is a marker noting the spot of County Stadium’s home plate. The foul poles used at Helfaer Field are from County Stadium.

Milwaukee County Stadium Right Field Foul Pole Now Relocated To Helfaer Field

Much of County Stadium’s third base grandstand and left field is now a parking lot – “Brewers 1.” Behind Helfaer Field’s left field corner (on what was once County Stadium’s left field foul line) is a granite monument honoring the Milwaukee Braves.

Milwaukee County Stadium's Left Field Grandstand and Bleachers - Now "Brewers 1" Parking Lot

In the parking lot beyond Helfaer Field’s left field fence (Brewer 1) is an inground marker surrounded by red concrete bricks that honors Hank Aaron’s last home run. The plaque states: “This marks the landing location of the final home run of Hank Aaron’s career, #755, hit at County Stadium on July 20, 1976.” Aaron, who began his major league career with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954, returned to Milwaukee at the end of his career, playing for the Brewers in 1975 and 1976.

County Stadium’s first base grandstand, and portions of right field, are now a parking lot in front of Miller Park demarcated as “Cubs” lot.

Milwaukee County Stadium's Right Field Grandstand and Scoreboard - Now "Cubs" Parking Lot

In front of Miller Park are statues honoring Robin Yount , Hank Aaron, Bud Selig, and Bob Uecker. A sculpture entitled “Teamwork,” by artist Omri Amrany, honors Jerome Starr, Jeff Wischer, and William DeGrave, three construction workers killed during construction of Miller Park.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in County Stadium, Wisconsin ballparks | Comments (6)

Stade Du Parc Jarry, Also Known As Jarry Park Stadium

October 22nd, 2013

Jarry Park Stadium was located at 285 Rue Faillon (later renamed Rue Gary-Carter) in Montreal, approximately six miles southwest of downtown. From 1969 until 1976, it was the home of the National League Montreal Expos.

Uniprix Stadium in Background, Formerly Du Maurier Stadium, Formerly Jarry Park

The stadium was located in a public park known as Jarry Park (Parc Jarry in French) and started out as an uncovered, 3,000 seat ballpark that quickly was turned into a 28,000 seat stadium in the months just prior to the Expos’ arrival in 1969.

Jarry Park in Montreal - A Public Park That Once Included Jarry Park Stadium

In 1977, the Expos moved to Olympic Stadium where the team played until the franchise moved after the 2004 season to RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.

Aerial View of Jarry Park (from http://www.petenersesian.com/whathappenedhere)

A portion of Jarry Park Stadium, like Braves Field in Boston, exists today as a reconfigured sports venue.

Jarry Park Postcard Showing Home Plate Grandstand and Enclosed Press Box

The grandstands along the first and third base foul lines, and the bleachers in center field, are long gone. However, the grandstand behind home plate, with its distinctive top row of enclosed seating and press box, remains.

Remaining Section of Jarry Park - Behind Home Plate - Uniprix Stadium

In the late 1980’s the stadium was renamed in honor of Pope John Paul II to commemorate his 1984 trip to Canada and Montreal (the first time a Pope had visited the country). A major renovation to the stadium was completed in 1996. Renamed Du Maurier Stadium, the facility was used primarily for tennis and included a center court and seating for 11,700 spectators. In 2004, the stadium was renamed Uniprix Stadium (Stade Uniprix in French).

Center Court At Uniprix Stadium With Jarry Park Stadium's Original Grandstand Visible at Right

Center court inside the box-shaped stadium covers what was once the infield.

Entrance To Coupe Rogers AT&T Tennis Tournament (circa 2002), Uniprix Stadium, Looking Toward Former Right Field Corner and Center Field

The front entrance to Uniprix Stadium is located in what was once Jarry Park Stadium’s center field.

Former Center Field Looking From Left Field

Front Entrance to Uniprix Stadium, Section 1, Former Center Field of Jarry Park Stadium (Looking From Former Right Field)

The northwest corner of the  stadium is located near what was once left field.

Site of Former Left Field Corner, Jarry Park Stadium

Section 7, located along the western-facing side of Uniprix Stadium, is in the approximate location of third base.

Entrance to Uniprix Stadium Section 7, Approximate Location of Third Base

Jarry Park was the last major league baseball stadium with only a single deck. It likewise was the last (and first in many years) with no covered grandstands.

Entrance To Uniprix Stadium Above Section 7 At Top of Concourse

Although baseball no is longer played at Jarry Park Stadium, you still can see professional sports played at that venue on a fairly regular basis. The Rogers Cup (formerly the Canadian Open), a major tennis tournament held every other year at Uniprix Stadium, is one such event.

Leader Board Coupe Rogers AT&T Tennis Tournament

If you walk around the back of Uniprix Stadium to the section facing the railroad tracks you can still see the curved outer wall of the grandstand behind what was once home plate, the lower section of the building appearing much the way it did when the Expos played there. Although Jarry Park Stadium may have been nothing more than a stop gap ballpark for the Montreal Expos, it nonetheless qualifies as a place where the game once was played. And fortunately for fans of baseball who care about such things, Jarry Park Stadium, like Braves Field, is not quite a lost ballpark.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Canadian ballparks, Jarry Park | Comments (1)

Braves Field and Boston University

April 26th, 2010

Braves Field was the second home of the National League Boston Braves.  Previously having played at the various incarnations of stadia at Boston’s South End Grounds, the team moved to Braves Field in 1915, playing there through the 1952 season.

Braves Field's Portal to the Past

Braves Field is located just a mile west of Fenway Park on Commonwealth Avenue.  The ballpark, or what is left of it, resides on the campus of Boston University.  After the Braves left Boston for Milwaukee in 1953, the university took over the ballpark, demolished a portion of the field and grandstand to construct a gymnasium, and converted what was left of the grandstand and most of the outfield to a modest-sized football stadium.  When Boston University disbanded its football program, the stadium, renamed Nickerson Field, was converted for use primarily as a soccer venue.

Nickerson Field

Center Field Looking Toward Former Right Field Bleachers

The distinctive, tan-colored, stucco and Mission-Revival-style building that once housed the Brave’s administrative offices and is now the university’s police station anchors the site on Harry Agganis Way, one block north of Commonwealth Avenue.  Just behind building is the back side of the right-field bleachers, also preserved by the university.

Boston Braves Former Administrative Offices

A concrete plaza constructed behind the police station includes a plaque commemorating Braves Field.

Braves Field Plaza Behind Right Field Bleachers

The plaque tells the story of the longest game in major league history, played at that field on May 1, 1920.  A 26-inning affair, the Braves battled the Brooklyn Dodgers to a 1-1 tie, with both pitchers throwing complete games.

Plaque Commorating Former Site of Braves Field

A gate between the police station and the right field bleachers allows access to the playing field, which is now covered with artificial turf.

Looking Down on Former Administrative Offices from Top of Right Field Bleachers

What remains of Braves Field is impressive.  The seating area of Nickerson Field is composed almost entirely of what once was Braves Field’s right-field bleachers.

Right Field Bleachers, Braves Field, 1916 World Series (Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.)

The original concrete-and-stucco wall surrounding the perimeter of the bleachers, seen in the picture above, remains largely intact.

Original Concrete and Stucco Wall

Although most of the original seating had been replaced with aluminum benches, a section located in the middle of the seating area had four rows of red plastic stadium seats.

Nickerson Field Seating

The concourse and concession stands underneath the bleachers dates back to Braves Field.

Concession Area Under Right Field Bleachers

A walkway at the end of the concourse leads from the Braves’ former offices to what was once right centerfield.

Walkway From Offices, Under Stands, To Right Field

The officials at Boston University were forward thinking when they decided to turn former Braves Field into Nickerson Field and retain portions of the old ballpark for future generations of baseball fans to appreciate.  It is a fantastic portal to the past and only a mile or so down Commonwealth from Fenway.  If you’re in the area for a Red Sox game, it is well worth taking a detour to visit Braves Field.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Braves Field, Massachusetts ballparks | Comments (11)

Fulton County Stadium Makes A Great Parking Lot – For Now

April 23rd, 2010

Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium was the fourth home of the National League Braves and the first in Atlanta. The Braves two previous homes were Braves Field in Boston and County Stadium in Milwaukee.

Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium, Once Home of the Braves (Dexter Press, Inc.)

Once nestled at the confluence of Interstates 75, 85, and 20, Fulton County Stadium is now a parking lot.

The Friendly Confines of Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium and Interstate 75 (Scenic South Card Co.)

Unlike other lost ballparks, however, Fulton County Stadium is not quite gone or forgotten.  Portions of the old ballpark remain in the parking lot adjacent to the Braves’ current home, Turner Field.

Baseball Paradise Now A Parking Lot

The stadium’s outer retaining wall, now painted blue, marks the outline of Fulton County Stadium.

Fulton County Stadium Outer Wall

The blue outer wall marks the area from the right field corner around to the first base side of home plate.

The Right Field Corner

The infield, foul lines, and warning track are marked with brown pavers.

No Place Like Home

And if all that weren’t enough, the que de gras of the former Fulton County Stadium site is the portion of the metal, outfield fence marking where Hank Aaron’s record breaking home run number 715 cleared Dodger’s outfielder Bill Buckner and landed in the mit of Braves relief pitcher Tom House, who was standing in the Braves’ bullpen.

"There's new home run champion of all time and it's Henry Aaron" (Braves Announcer Milo Hamilton)

Hank Aaron at Fulton County Stadium (1972 Atlanta Braves Fan Photo)

In 1997, the Braves moved across Hank Aaron Street to Turner Field.

Turner Field, Home of the Atlanta Braves

The original plaque honoring Fulton County Stadium – Atlanta Stadium – is located in the plaza outside the main gate of Turner Field just south of Georgia Avenue.

Original "Atlanta Stadium" Plaque Now Located Outside Turner Field

Located on the northwest side of Turner Field at Aisle 134 is the Ivan Allen Jr. Braves Museum & Hall of Fame which includes over 600 Braves artifacts and photographs, including several items from Fulton County Stadium.

Turnstile from Fulton County Stadium

The Braves museums offers fans the chance to sit in Fulton County Stadium seats and relive Hank Aaron’s famous home run breaking Babe Ruth’s record of 714.

Stadium Seats from Fulton County Stadium

The Atlanta dugout is recreated as well, including the bat and helmet racks.

T

Recreated Dugout of Fulton County Stadium

Fans are free to have a seat on the dugout bench or lean on the railing.

Dugout from Fulton County Stadium

Former player lockers from Fulton County Stadium are used throughout the museum to display Atlanta Braves memorabilia.

Fulton County Stadium Player Lockers

The piece de resistance of the Braves museum is the actual ball that Hank Aaron hit over Fulton County Stadium’s left field wall to break Babe Ruth’s home run record of 714. Also on display is the bat Hammerin Hank used that day.

One of the Greatest Baseball Artifacts Ever - Hank Aaron's Home Run Ball No. 715

Any fan of the game visiting Atlanta or Turner Field should make a stop at the parking lot across the street.  Thanks to the forward thinking of Atlanta officials, it is still possible visit Fulton County Stadium and experience its most famous moment. Once inside Turner Field, the Braves Museum and Hall of Fame is definitely worth the one token it costs to enter (approximately $2).

With the Braves announcement in November 2013 that the team will be leaving Turner Field at the end of the 2016 season for a new ballpark to be built in Cobb, a suburb ten miles north of Atlanta, the future of the Fulton County Stadium parking lot and stadium markers is now in doubt. Demolition of Turner Field is scheduled for 2017. Only time will tell what, if anything, will remain of Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Fulton County Stadium, Georgia ballparks | Comments (5)